Saturday, August 11, 2007

What About The Dogs?

There are 2 dogs in our family....our "furry kids".Dog 5 Dog 5 They are sisters, from the same litter of "mutts"...we know their mother was a cattle dog and think possibly their father was some sort of lab mix.

They are pretty good dogs, rather quirky, but overall pretty good. I have read a lot of recommendations for how to prepare your dogs for the arrival of your child. Honestly, I haven't started with any of them yet, but know I need to. Oh, unless chasing the dogs around the house with the "rocking panda" (see post dated 5/31), telling them it is going to get them, while they bark at it....unless that counts as part of the preparation! Lol What can I say...I was bored...it was funny!

Seriously though, I am concerned about how they will adjust to Willow coming home. Since it is just Tom and I, it is usually a pretty quiet house, nothing like it will be when Willow is home I'm sure. They haven't ever been around very young children, they aren't used to the noise...the sudden movements...etc... And they are both completely spoiled and MAMA'S GIRLS! I am concerned about the possibility of jealousy.

I talk to "the girls" (my dogs) often about Willow and about how they are going to have to act when Willow comes home. Honestly they do not seem all that interested in the conversation. But I have also let them know that they don't have a choice in their behavior once Willow comes home! Because if there are any problems, they will be living at new homes. And that would be horribly, horribly sad for all of us!

Has anyone dealt with this issue yet? Any suggestions on what worked or didn't work for you?